Do more people:
- Die towards the end or beginning of the month?
- Arrange funerals for the middle of the month, so relatives can attend?
- Is Friday a good day for a funeral?
- Do more people who love music plan a funeral for the middle of the month?
Probably not. Who really knows? Is it fate, karma, planning, luck or just plain coincidence?
There doesn't appear to be any pattern in the types of funerals, which were held at:
- A C of E church in Islington
- A C of E church in Winchester
- A RC church in Church Crookham
- A RC church in Weybridge
- Guildford Crematorium
- Winchester Cathedral
So, is there consistency in music choices?
Funeral hymns for these funerals have been:
- Abide with me
- How Great Thou Art
- I vow to thee my country
- Jerusalem (And did those feet in ancient time)
- Love Divine, all loves excelling (Blaenwern)
- Praise my soul the King of heaven
- The Old Rugged Cross
- Do Not Be Afraid
- Here I am, Lord
- I watch the sunrise lighting the sky
- Make me a channel of your peace (3 times)
- Morning has broken
- On Eagle's Wings
- Take my hands
- Walk with me, o Lord
Funeral songs for these funerals have been:
- Amazing Grace
- Ave Maria
- Ave Verum Corpus
- Do not stand at my grave and weep
- Pie Jesu (Andrew Lloyd Webber)
- The Lord is my shepherd (Howard Goodall)
- Time to say goodbye
So, it seems that these "middle Friday" funerals have almost nothing in common, except perhaps two things:
All wanted to have singing to celebrate the life of their loved one, and asked Hampshire Funeral Singers to help.
They all gave us brilliant feedback and said how much the singing had added to the service.
"Thank you very much for your contribution at Peter's funeral on Friday. Without you it would have been a rather dismal occasion but you lifted it to something rather splendid which made it much more bearable and memorable."
"Just wanted to say thank you for the beautiful singing at my Mother's funeral on Friday. You were wonderful. It made the service very special."
"Toni, a million thank yous. Your singing was beautiful. I must pass on to you that at least four people came up to me to say how wonderful you were and to ask for your number. I will happily recommend you whenever appropriate. "
"We have received many comments about what a lovely addition you were to the service, we will be sure to pass your contact details on. Thank you once again."
"Your wonderful solo and the leading in the hymns made mum’s funeral. Dad was especially touched by your rendition of ‘Amazing Grace’.
"I just want to say how moving your singing was at my brother's funeral, it was just perfect and you have such a lovely singing voice. You are very lucky that you can help people come to terms with a lost one. Thank you for making the service so beautiful for my brother. I am sure he was listening."