We've sung at a number of Catholic funeral masses recently, and the choice of hymns has set us thinking.
There are so many different hymns in the hymn books(the Laudate has over 900 listed). Most churches have a repertoire of favourite hymns that suit the priest, congregation and musicians but sometimes these are not the most popular or well known.
- Do you rely on the priest's suggestions only?
- Or take advice from friends and family?
However, if you are a regular churchgoer, then choosing is less of a problem.
- are not a regular churchgoer
- go to a different church than where the service will be held
- are not of the same religion as the deceased
- don't like singing yourself and so have no idea what hymns are good or not
- or just don't know where to start!
Help is at hand!
Your priest officiating at the funeral will have many suggestions to help, but often it's nice to go prepared with some ideas of hymns and tunes.
Here's one of our top 25 "hummable" funeral hymns, but more modern ones:
- A new commandment I give unto you
- All that I am, All that I do
- As I kneel before you
- Be Not Afraid
- Be Still for the presence of the Lord
- Christ be beside me
- Day is done but love unfailing dwells ever here
- Do not be afraid
- Fill My house unto the fullest
- God’s spirit is in my heart…And go tell everyone
- Hail Mary: Gentle Woman
- Here I am, Lord
- I am the bread of life
- I watch the sunrise
- Let us break bread together on our knees
- Lord of the Dance
- Love is His word Love is His way
- Make me a channel of your peace
- Oh, the love of my Lord is the essence
- On Eagle's Wings
- One Bread, One Body
- Peace, perfect peace
- Sing a new song unto the Lord
- Take our bread, we ask you
- Whatsoever you do
You can hear me 'humming' well singing a verse unaccompanied at hummable hymn help page.
Is your favourite listed? Please add your suggestions in the comments below!